4 March 2015: Enhancing student learning outcomes with simulation-based pedagogies
Presenter: A/Prof. Pierre Benckendorff (University of Queensland, Australia)
Hosted by Professor Geoffrey Crisp, RMIT University and Dr Mathew Hillier, University of Queensland, Australia starting 07:00AM UTC/GMT. Duration 1 Hour.
This seminar explored the techniques used to assess the learning outcomes of online business simulations. Online business simulations are complex simulations designed to teach strategy, competitive analysis, finance, marketing, HRM, cross-functional alignment, and the selection of tactics to build a successful business. Simulations can develop a range of skills and capabilities that are challenging to develop using traditional teaching and learning approaches. However, simulations are one of many tools in the educator's tool kit and their effectiveness depends on the use of appropriate pedagogy and assessment to support student learning.
- Slide Set: TA_webinar_4_mar_2015_slides.pdf [4.9MB] [PPT 11.7MB]
- Session chat log: TA_webinar_4mar2015_chat_log.txt
- Presenter's homepage: https://www.business.uq.edu.au/staff/pierre-benckendorff
- Online Business Simulations project website : http://www.bizsims.edu.au
Links shared during the session
- List of Business Simulations http://www.bizsims.edu.au/a-z-index-simulators
- SharkWorld (simulation) http://www.sharkworldgame.com/
Multiple formats are available.
You Tube version (Flash video) - recommended version.
A screen cast of the session.
Start playing via You Tube (note: this is a single file): http://youtu.be/3wfFimtq3zI (You can choose to view in standard definition or high definition and in full screen mode).
Blackboard Collaborate/Elluminate v12.5 archive version
This uses the classroom system itself to re-play a recording of the event. You are also able to jump forward, back and pause the recording.
- Click: https://au-sas.bbcollab.com/site/external/jwsdetect/playback.jnlp?psid=2015-03-03.1609.M.769585F2052D451155C5DC3EC699EA.vcr&sid=2009132
in Firefox/Internet explorer you may be promoted to open with/run or save the file - choose open with/run.
in Chrome a prompt will appear in the status bar at the bottom of the window - choose 'keep', then click the file name.
- The Blackboard collaborate player should begin launching via JAVA.
If you are having trouble accessing the classroom system please read the help page.