6 May 2015: Development of 4D farms to improve student learning and safety
Presenter: Dr Stuart Barber (University of Melbourne, Australia)
Hosted by Dr Mathew Hillier, University of Queensland, Australia starting 07:00AM UTC/GMT. Duration 43 Minutes.
Recent significant changes in veterinary student demographics, access to animal enterprises, biosecurity and environmental health and safety regulations has resulted in significant shifts in delivering veterinary and agricultural education in animal management and production.
In this session Stuart explored examples of how we can improve veterinary and agricultural student learning and safety on farms through the use of novel 4D on-line farms. Working collaboratively, with funding from the Australian Government Office of Learning and Teaching, eleven high-resolution, panoramic four-dimensional (4D) virtual farms from across Australasia were developed. The fourth dimension of time is used to demonstrate changes over four seasons that includes time series data on rainfall at each location. These 4D farms and associated learning resources will support student learning before, during and after student visits to properties. This presentation provided an overview of the material, its current and potential use within veterinary and agricultural curricula including its use in student assessment. The approaches and technology used to develop the virtual environments are relevant to any educational programs that make use of site visits or field trips.
- Slide Set: TA_webinar_6_may_2015_slides.pdf [5.5MB]
- Session chat log: TA_webinar_6may2015_chat_log.txt
- Presenter's homepage (profile): http://research.vet.unimelb.edu.au/staff.php?staffID=708
- 4D Virtual farm twitter https://twitter.com/4DVirtualFarm
- Further images https://twitter.com/4DVirtualFarm/media
- Barber,S. Dalvean,J. & Shallcross, D. (2012) The 4D virtual farm– applications and implications (Poster/Abstract), Education Day, Australian Veterinary Association conference, Hobart. http://rebekahmbrown.com/2012/06/05/education-posters-at-ava-2012/
- 4D Farms website: TBA
Multiple formats are available.
You Tube version (Flash video) - recommended version.
A screen cast of the session.
Start playing via You Tube (note: this is a single file): http://youtu.be/kw1SK4qTiR0 (You can choose to view in standard definition or high definition and in full screen mode).
Blackboard Collaborate/Elluminate v12.5 archive version
This uses the classroom system itself to re-play a recording of the event. You are also able to jump forward, back and pause the recording.
- Click: https://au-sas.bbcollab.com/site/external/jwsdetect/playback.jnlp?psid=2015-05-06.0009.M.769585F2052D451155C5DC3EC699EA.vcr&sid=2009132
in Firefox/Internet explorer you may be promoted to open with/run or save the file - choose open with/run.
in Chrome a prompt will appear in the status bar at the bottom of the window - choose 'keep', then click the file name.
- The Blackboard collaborate player should begin launching via JAVA.
If you are having trouble accessing the classroom system please read the help page.