9 December 2015: Providing meaningful learning analytics data to teachers: a tool to complete the loop
Presenters: Professor Gregor Kennedy, Dr Linda Corrin and Ms Paula De Barba (University of Melbourne)
Hosted by Professor Geoffrey Crisp, Dean Learning and Teaching, RMIT University and Dr Mathew Hillier, Monash University, Australia. starting 07:00AM UTC/GMT. Duration 51 Minutes.
This session explored an open source web-based learning analytics tool (Loop) that uses data from learning management systems to provide meaningful feedback to teachers. The Loop tool is designed to help academics make the connection between data and curriculum, including student engagement and performance in formative and summative assessment. By encouraging the use of learning design as a lens for data interpretation, the tool will enable teachers to more easily identify and implement changes to their teaching practices and curriculum design. The Loop tool is the result of a collaboration between the University of Melbourne, Macquarie University and the University of South Australia, funded by the Australian Government Office of Learning and Teaching (OLT).
- Slide Set: TA_webinar_9_dec_2015_slides.pdf [4.4MB]
- Chat Log (edited for clarify): TA_webinar_9dec2015_chat_log.txt
- Gregor Kennedy's: staff profile.
- Linda Corrin's: staff profile.
- Paula De Barba's: academia profile.
- Project website: http://cshe.unimelb.edu.au/research/teaching/completingtheloop/
- Recent paper: Corrin, L., Kennedy, G., Barba, P.D., Bakharia, A., Lockyer, L., Gasevic, D., Williams, D., Dawson, S., & Copeland, S. (2015). Loop: A learning analytics tool to provide teachers with useful data visualisations. In T. Reiners, B.R. von Konsky, D. Gibson, V. Chang, L. Irving, & K. Clarke (Eds.), Globally connected, digitally enabled. Proceedings ascilite 2015 in Perth (pp. 409-413). http://www.2015conference.ascilite.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/ascilite-2015-proceedings.pdf
Multiple formats are available.
You Tube version (Flash video) - recommended version.
A screen cast of the session.
Start playing via You Tube (note: this is a single file): https://youtu.be/YTIyuD--TIY (You can choose to view in standard definition or high definition and in full screen mode).
Blackboard Collaborate archive version
This uses the classroom system itself to re-play a recording of the event. You are also able to jump forward, back and pause the recording.
Note: links shown inside this recording are only 'clickable' when displayed in the lower left 'text chat' area.
- Click: https://au-sas.bbcollab.com/site/external/jwsdetect/playback.jnlp?psid=2015-12-08.2303.M.769585F2052D451155C5DC3EC699EA.vcr&sid=2009132
in Firefox/Internet explorer you may be promoted to open with/run or save the file - choose open with/run.
in Chrome a prompt will appear in the status bar at the bottom of the window - choose 'keep', then click the file name.
- The Blackboard collaborate player should begin launching via JAVA.
If you are having trouble accessing the classroom system please read the help page.