5 August 2015: A 3D virtual business simulation for experiential learning in first year accounting
Presenter: Associate Professor Julie Walker (University of Queensland, Australia)
Hosted by Dr Mathew Hillier, University of Queensland, Australia starting 07:00AM UTC/GMT. Duration 57 Minutes.
This session described the 3D virtual business enterprise (VBE) and its use as an experiential learning resource in a large first year accounting course. Over 900 students participated in the VBE in first semester 2015, running businesses in the virtual world and generating financial statements to report on their trading activities. The VBE is a result of a collaboration between the University of Queensland Business School and International Education Services, the original developer of the 3D business world.
- Slide Set: TA_webinar_5_aug_2015_slides.pdf [1.3MB] [PPT 4.6MB]
- Chat Log: TA_webinar_5aug2015_chat_log.txt
- Presenter's homepage (profile): https://www.business.uq.edu.au/staff/julie-walker
- Inside the VBE (no sound) http://youtu.be/cYDaYgt7i-M (4:34)
- A 3D Virtual Business Enterprise in ACCT1101 (with sound) https://www.facebook.com/uqbusiness/videos/988464357871851/ (0:57)
- Student interview (with sound) https://youtu.be/Y-y6WhIhrLc (2:24)
- 3D Virtual Business Enterprise (VBE) Mobile app http://pier-enterprise.com/
- Previous version 'PierSim' http://piersim.com/about
Multiple formats are available.
You Tube version (Flash video) - recommended version.
A screen cast of the session.
Start playing via You Tube (note: this is a single file): http://youtu.be/ku8BhpZOQXQ (You can choose to view in standard definition or high definition and in full screen mode).
Blackboard Collaborate/Elluminate v12.5 archive version
This uses the classroom system itself to re-play a recording of the event. You are also able to jump forward, back and pause the recording.
Note: links shown inside this recording are only 'clickable' when displayed in the lower left 'text chat' area.
- Click: https://au-sas.bbcollab.com/site/external/jwsdetect/playback.jnlp?psid=2015-08-04.2321.M.769585F2052D451155C5DC3EC699EA.vcr&sid=2009132
in Firefox/Internet explorer you may be promoted to open with/run or save the file - choose open with/run.
in Chrome a prompt will appear in the status bar at the bottom of the window - choose 'keep', then click the file name.
- The Blackboard collaborate player should begin launching via JAVA.
If you are having trouble accessing the classroom system please read the help page.